Family and domestic violence support

Family and domestic violence takes many forms and occurs across all cultural groups, ages and sexual diversity groups. Different services and supports are available depending on your individual circumstances. 

In an emergency situation, or if you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call the police now on 000 or through the National Relay Service TTY 106.

If you are assisting someone who does not speak English, first call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50.

24-hour helplines

If it is not an emergency and you need support, you can call these numbers 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

WA Police Force
131 444
To report incidents of family and domestic violence. 
WA Police Force
SMSAssist 0403 277 478
A text messaging service for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired or have a communication disability. The service can be used to contact the WA Police Force and request assistance. This number should not be relied upon in an emergency and the service only applies in WA.
National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service
1800RESPECT 1800 737 732
A national telephone and online counselling and referral service.
Women's Domestic Violence Helpline
1800 007 339
Provides support for women, with or without children, who are experiencing family and domestic violence in WA (including referrals to women's refuges).
Men's Domestic Violence Helpline
1800 000 599
Provides telephone information and referrals for men who are concerned about their violent and abusive behaviours, and for male victims of family and domestic violence in WA.
Crisis Care
1800 199 008
WA's after-hours response to report concerns for a child's safety and wellbeing and to provide information and referrals for people experiencing crisis.
MensLine Australia
1800 789 978
Support for men and boys dealing with family and relationship difficulties, or for men who are concerned that their behaviour is hurting the people they care about.
Sexual Assault Resource Centre
6458 1828 or 1800 199 888
Provides a range of free services to people affected by sexual violence.
Kids Helpline
1800 551 800
A free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25 in Australia.

Other important contacts

Aboriginal Family Legal Services
1800 469 246
For victims and survivors of family violence and/or sexual assault who are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander peoples or whose partner or children are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander peoples.
13 61 50
For help with family payments, such as Family Tax Benefits, Childcare Subsidy and Parental Leave pay.
Entry Point WA
1800 124 684
A free and voluntary assessment and referral service assisting people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in WA to access accommodation and support options.
1800 070 777
Mobile Foodbank takes food to people who need it in the Perth metro area. You will need a referral from the Emergency Relief and Food Access Service (1800 979 777).
Legal Aid WA
1300 650 579
Free or low-cost legal services. Legal Aid WA can assist if you are going to court, or if you need advice on a legal problem.
RSPCA Pets in Crisis 
A free service providing a temporary home for pets whose owners are experiencing family and domestic violence. Pets are placed in a loving foster home for up to three months while their owner seeks refuge or temporary accommodation of their own. The service is available via a referral from a caseworker only.
Services Australia
1800 555 660
An Australian Government service that can assist with information, referrals and support for people affected by family and domestic violence.
Uniting WA
1300 663 298
Free confidential support for women experiencing family and domestic violence, including counselling, mediation, advocacy and emergency financial relief for the cost of food and small bills.

Useful websites

Centre for Women's Safety and Wellbeing Find support contacts and a service directory for women and families facing domestic violence.

Department of Communities The lead agency coordinating strategy and policy direction in the prevention of family and domestic violence in WA, who also play a key role in the operational response to family and domestic violence.

Department of Justice (Court and Tribunal Services) A guide to Safe Steps for Those Experiencing Violence in a Relationship

eSafety Commissioner For information about technology-facilitated abuse.

Family Violence Service A voluntary and free service available for family violence victims who may need assistance with court support, information and referrals to other services.

WA Connect A list of emergency accommodation, support and legal services, food parcels and vouchers for women facing family and domestic violence, listed by the WA Council of Social Services.

Womens Health and Family Services A non-for-profit organisation specialising in women's issues, including family and domestic violence support for culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) women and their children, LGBTIQ+ people and young people.

Your Toolkit A free, step-by-step guide on personal safety, support services and money matters for people facing family and domestic violence.

Was this page helpful?