A deck is an unroofed, flat surface similar to a floor and is capable of supporting weight. The structure is typically constructed outdoors, may be elevated from the ground and is usually connected to a building. Wood or composite wood material is generally used in the construction of the deck.

What can I build?

Any deck, regardless of height or size, must be setback a minimum of 900mm from the allotment boundary or from the residential dwelling at all times to comply with BCA fire separation requirements.

NOTE: Any proposed deck raised more than 500mm above natural ground level and within 7.5m of an adjoining property would be required to install a privacy screen to comply with the visual privacy requirements of the Residential Design Codes (R-codes). Please contact the City's Statutory Planning Services team on (08) 9273 6000 for more information.

Do I need a building permit?

A Building Permit is required for a deck, regardless of the height it is raised above natural ground level. Decks that are raised more than 500mm above natural ground level will require structural engineering certification.

How long does it take to get a building permit for a deck?

The time frame depends on the type of building permit application that is submitted - Certified (BA1) or Uncertified (BA2). The Building Regulations 2012 sets out the time frames in which the City has to assess and determine an application.

It is important that all relevant documentation for the proposed deck is submitted with your building permit application. Should further information is required by the City in order to assess the application, the applicant has 21 calendar days to provide the requested information. If it is not received within that stated time frame, the application may be refused unless a written request for an extension of time to submit the information has been received and granted by the City prior to the expiry of the 21 days.

Certified Building Applications (BA1)

A certified building permit application can be submitted for a deck.

A private Building Surveying Practitioner would need to be engaged to assess the documentation for the deck and issue a Certificate of Design Compliance. 

The City has up to 10 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit.

NOTE: A Building Surveying Practitioner Register can be downloaded from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website.

Uncertified Building Applications (BA2)

An uncertified building permit application can be submitted for Class 10 structures such as a deck.

The City has up to 25 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit. The City will issue a Certificate of Design Compliance as part of the application process. 

How long until my permit expires?

A Building Permit is generally valid for two years from the date on which it was granted.

If more time is required to complete the building works, you can apply for an extension of time by making a formal application and paying the prescribed fee. The application to extend a building permit must include:

  • The reference number of the building permit, and
  • The reasons for requesting the extension, and
  • The period for which the extension is sought. 

NOTE: The application for an extension of time must be lodged before the expiry of the building permit.

What happens when I have completed my building works?

The nominated builder on the Building Permit must submit a BA7 Notice of Completion form to the City within seven days of completing the prescribed building works. A failure to do so could incur a fine of $10,000.


When submitting a building permit application for a deck, you will need to include the following information in your application:

  • A completed BA1 (certified) or BA2 (uncertified) application form
    • Including all owner's details, construction materials and costings
    • Signed by all owners
    • Signed by a registered builder, including the builder's registration number or owner-builder approval where the value of works is greater than $20,000
    • Signed by the applicant

BA1 and BA2 application forms are available from the City's website, Building and Energy website or from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre

  • A Certificate of Design Compliance (for certified applications only)

This must be issued by a registered Building Surveying Practitioner and include all documentation as referenced on the Certificate of Design Compliance

  • Payment of fees

Refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full fee details. Fee details are also available from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre.

  • Building Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) levy payment (for building works greater than $20,000) - refer to the City's Fees and Charges for details. Payment can be made to the City or online directly to the Construction Training Fund (CFC).
    • A completed BCITF form (if paying to the City), or
    • An electronic payment receipt (if paid online to CTF).
  • Construction details drawn to scale (1:100), showing:
    • Detailed floor plan and elevations
    • Cross-section details
  • Structural Engineer's certification (if proposed deck is higher than 500mm from natural ground level).
    • Details of the decking frame in accordance with AS1684 - Residential Timber Framed Construction, where structural engineering is not required. 
  • Site plan drawn to scale (1:200), showing:
    • Location and dimensions of the proposed deck
    • Location of all existing structures on the property
    • Measurement from the boundaries to the proposed deck
    • Location of any septic tanks and leach drains (if applicable)

    Useful Links:

    BA1 Building Permit Application form

    BA2 Building Permit Application form

    BA7 Notice of Completion

    BA22 Application to Extend a Building or Demolition Permit form

    Fees and Charges

    Construction Training Fund

    Building Surveying Practitioner Register

    More information

    This information is intended as a guide only. The City disclaims any liability for damages sustained by a person acting on the basis of this information.

    For more information please contact the City's Building Services team on 9273 6000 or email

    Was this page helpful?