Planning Approvals

planning approvals

Development and land use proposals on properties are required to be assessed and approved via a Planning (Development) Application.

All Development Applications are assessed against the City of Vincent Town Planning Scheme No.1, the Residential Design Codes 2010 and the relevant City Policies. Additional areas of Vincent which were formerly part of the City of Stirling, City of Perth and East Perth Redevelopment Authority are subject to the individual Town Planning Schemes.

Planning Approval is required for

Generally, an application for planning approval will be required for proposals involving:

  • construction of buildings/dwellings
  • changing the use of a building/premises
  • increasing the floor area of an existing structure
  • additions and alterations to existing dwellings
  • non-residential developments
  • non-complying signage (with the City's Policy)
  • lapsed development approvals (approvals are valid for two years, after which a new application must be submitted if not substantially commenced)
  • places with heritage significance
  • demolition of places listed as being of heritage significance
  • non-complying front fencing (with the City's Policy)
  • retaining walls (over 500mm in height)
  • excavation in the front setback area (over 500mm)
  • demolition.

Planning Approval may be required for

  • Fence alterations
  • Landscape works
  • Minor Works
  • Home occupations (businesses conducted from home).

Planning Approval is not required for

  • Dividing fences less than 1.8m above natural ground level behind the front setback line
  • Internal alterations (a building licence may be required for internal additions) unless the building is heritage listed.

Planning approvals must be granted prior to the submission of a Building Licence.

Planning Approval Lodgement

If you're applying for planning approval you must complete a MRS Form 1 application form, Consent and Indemnity Form and review the Planning Application Checklist. You can find these here.

Before lodging an application for planning approval you're encouraged to contact Planning Services. The Planning Officers can assist with advice on what information is required and explain the assessment process.

The period taken to assess individual applications can vary depending on whether or not the application complies with the requirements of the Town Planning Scheme No. 1 and relevant policies which can, in turn, determine if an application can be dealt with under delegated authority or is required to be determined at a Council Meeting. The statutory timeframe for the assessment of Planning Applications, under the Planning and Development Act 2005, is 60 days.

Further Information:

Planning Services
9273 6000 or

Contact Information

Dividing Fences

Fast Track Applications

Minor Nature Development Policy

Percent For Art

Planning Applications