Water Tank

A water tank is a container for storing water for domestic and industrial purposes. Water tanks provide storage of water for use in many applications, such as drinking water, irrigation, fire suppression, and agricultural farming, both for plants and livestock.

What can I build?

A water tank can be constructed out of steel, fiberglass, stone, concrete or plastic. The location of a water tank should be in the rear yard of a property and not be visible from the primary or secondary streets.

The base of the water tank is to be located directly on the ground or supported by a manufacturer designed tank stand not exceeding 300mm in height.

Do I need a building permit?

The Building Regulations 2012 states that a Building Permit is required prior to the construction, erection, assembly or placement of a water tank more than 5000 litres in capacity.

For smaller water tanks less than 5000 litres and not higher than the height of a boundary fence i.e. 1800mm, a Building Permit is not required.

How long does it take to get a building permit for a water tank?

The Building Act 2011 sets time frames in which the City has to assess and determine an application for a Building Permit. The applicable timeframe depends on whether the building application is Uncertified or Certified.

It is important that you are aware of allowed time frames prior to lodging your application and that your application documentation is complete.

Should further information be required by the City in order to assess the building application, the applicant may be given up to 21 calendar days in which to provide the outstanding information. If the information is not received within the 21 days, the application may be refused unless a mutual consent has been granted for a further 21 days.

Uncertified Building Applications (BA2)

An Uncertified Building Application can be submitted for Class 10 structures such as a water tank.

The City has up to 25 business days from the date of lodgment to assess the application and issue a Building Permit. The required Certificate of Design Compliance will be issued by the City as part of the application process.

Certified Building Applications (BA1)

A Certified Building Application can be submitted for all Class of structures.

Prior to lodging a Certified Building Application to the City, a private Building Surveying Practitioner would need to be engaged to issue a Certificate of Design Compliance.

The City has up to 10 business days from the date of lodgment to assess the application and issue a Building Permit.

How long until my permit expires?

A Building Permit is generally valid for two years from the date on which it was granted.

If more time is required to complete the building works, you can apply for an extension of time of up to a further six months by making a formal application and paying the prescribed fee.

What happens when I have completed my building works?

The nominated builder on the Building Permit must submit a Notice of Completion BA7 form to the City within seven days of completing the prescribed building works.


If you would like to submit an application for a water tank, you will need to include the following information in your application:

  • A complete BA1 (certified) or BA2 (uncertified) application form
    • Including all owner's details, construction materials and costings
    • Signed by a registered builder, including the builder's registration number or owner-builder approval where the value of works is greater than $20,000
    • Including applicant's contact details

BA1 application forms are available from the City's website here (link) or from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre

  • A Certificate of Design Compliance (for certified application only)

This must be issued by a registered Building Surveying Practitioner and include all documentation as referenced on the Certificate of Design Compliance

  • Payment of fees

Refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full fee details (link). Fee details are also available from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre.

  • Building Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) levy payment form (for building works greater than $20,000)

Required in full and signed for works over $20,000 - refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full free details (link).

  • Site plan drawn to scale (1:200), showing:
    • Location and dimensions of the proposed water tank
    • Location of all existing structures on the property
    • Measurement from the boundaries to the proposed water tank
    • Location of any septic tanks and leach drains (if applicable)
  • Construction details drawn to scale (1:100), showing:
    • Detailed floor plan and elevations
    • Cross-section details
  • Structural Engineer's certification

More information

This information is intended as a guide only. The City disclaims any liability for damages sustained by a person acting on the basis of this information.

For more information, please contact the City's building services team on 9273 6000 or email mail@vincent.wa.gov.au.

Was this page helpful?