A re-roof of a building is a method of changing the roofing material for various reasons.

What can I re-roof?

Any building that has a failed roof and is leaking or has corroded will need a re-roof to fix the issues.  This may mean the underlying roof structure requires attention as the root cause of the roofing system failure.

Or more innocently, you would like a visual change to the look of your building.

Do I need a building permit?

The Building Regulations 2012 states that like for like building work where it is not structural could be exempt from requiring a building permit.

For example a tiled roof changing to Colorbondtm sheet will require a building permit.  Where a tile to tile re-roof may not need a building permit where there is no structural work proposed.

How long does it take to get a building permit for a re-roof?

The Building Act 2011 sets time frames in which the City has to assess and determine an application for a Building Permit. The applicable timeframe depends on whether the building application is Uncertified or Certified.

It is important that you are aware of allowed time frames prior to lodging your application and that your application documentation is complete.

Should further information be required by the City in order to assess the building application, the applicant may be given up to 21 calendar days in which to provide the outstanding information. If the information is not received within the 21 days, the application may be refused unless a mutual consent has been granted for a further 21 days.

Uncertified Building Applications (BA2)

An Uncertified Building Application can be submitted for Class 1 structures such as a re-roof.

The City has up to 25 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit. The required Certificate of Design Compliance will be issued by the City as part of the application process.

Certified Building Applications (BA1)

A Certified Building Application can be submitted for all Class of structures.

Prior to lodging a Certified Building Application to the City, a private Building Surveying Practitioner would need to be engaged to issue a BA3 - Certificate of Design Compliance (CDC).

The City has up to 10 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit.

How long until my permit expires?

A Building Permit is generally valid for two years from the date on which it was granted.

If more time is required to complete the building works, you can apply for an extension of time of up to a further six months by making a formal application and paying the prescribed fee.

What happens when I have completed my building works?

The nominated builder on the Building Permit must submit a Notice of Completion BA7 form to the City within seven days of completing the prescribed building works.


If you would like to submit an application to undertake a re-roof, you will need to include the following information in your application:

  • A complete BA1 (certified) or BA2 (uncertified) application form

Including all owner's details, all applicant details, construction materials and costings and a builder's signature.

BA1 and BA2 application forms are available from the City's website, Building and Energy or from the front counter of the City's Library Centre

  • A Certificate of Design Compliance (for certified applications only).

This must be issued by a registered Building Surveying Practitioner and include all documentation as referenced on the Certificate of Design Compliance

  • Payment of fees

Refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full fee details (here).

  • Building Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) levy payment form (for building works greater than $20,000)

Refer to the City's Fees and Charges for details (here) .

  • Site plan drawn to scale (1:200)

Your site plan must show:

    • Location and dimensions of the proposed area of roof to be replaced
  • Construction details drawn to scale (1:100)

Construction drawings must show:

    • Detailed elevations
  • Structural Engineer's certification
    • Specific and signed engineering required
    • Roof tie down system to be utilised (specifically when proposing tile to sheet metal)

More information

This information is intended as a guide only. The City disclaims any liability for damages sustained by a person acting on the basis of this information.

For more information please contact the City's building services team on 9273 6000 or email