Demolition Permit

Demolition work means to demolish or dismantle a building/structure or part of a building/structure that is load-bearing or otherwise related to the physical integrity of the structure, but does not include:

  • the dismantling of formwork, falsework, scaffolding or other structures designed or used to provide support, access or containment during construction work; or
  • the removal of power, light or telecommunication poles.

Do I need a demolition permit?

Yes, a Demolition Permit is required prior to the removing or taking down of any buildings that are not exempt by section 10 of the Building Act 2011 and regulation 42 of the Building Regulations 2012.

How long does it take to get a Demolition Permit?

Under the Building Act 2011, the City has ten (10) business days to assess and make a determination on a Demolition Permit application. 

It is important to ensure that at the time of lodging your application, all relevant documentation has been provided. 

Should further information be required by the City in order to assess the application, the applicant has up to 21 calendar days to provide the additional information. If the requested information is not received within the stipulated 21 days, the City may refuse the application unless an extension of time to provide the information has been requested and granted. 

How long until my permit expires?

A Demolition Permit is generally valid for two years from the date on which it was granted.

If more time is required to complete the demolition works, you can apply for an extension of time of up to a further six months by making a formal application and paying the prescribed fee.

What happens when I have completed my demolition works?

The nominated demolition contractor on the Demolition Permit must submit a Notice of Completion BA7 form to the City within seven days of completing the prescribed demolition works.

NOTE: Failure to submit a BA7 form to the City may lead to a fine of $10,000 being imposed under section 33 of the Building Act 2011.

Submitting A Demolition Permit Application

To submit an application for demolition, you will need to include the following information in your application:

  • A completed BA5 Demolition Permit Application form
    • Owner's details and signature(s);
    • Full demolition cost;
    • Demolition contractor's details and signature;
    • Applicant's details (if different from demolition contractor).
    • Building Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) levy payment
      • Copy of the payment receipt - if BCITF levy has been paid directly to the Construction Training Fund via their online portal; or
      • Payable with Demolition Permit application fee. 
    • Site plan, minimum scale 1:200 showing: 
      • Location of structure(s) to be demolished;
      • Location of structure(s) to remain on the property (if partial demolition);
      • Location of any septic tanks and leach drains (if applicable).
    • Proof of disconnection of utilities (electricity, gas, water, etc.)
      • Written confirmation from the contractor disconnecting the service (i.e. electrician, plumber, service provider) - the contractor should be able to provide the relevant completion certificate. 

    NOTE: your demolition permit may be delayed if these documents are not provided with your application.

    • Proof of rodent baiting
      • A Rodent Baiting Certificate from a licensed pest control operator that states the date, type, areas treated and amounts of rodenticide used

    NOTE: The use of first generation anticoagulant rodenticides is strongly recommended to reduce secondary poisoning occurring in non-target animals such as native birds of prey.

    Dust Suppression On Demolition Sites

    Dust from demolition sites can result in complaints from neighbouring residents.

    In instances where dust nuisance emanating from a demolition site is substantiated, the City's authorised officers can issue either written or verbal directions to a responsible person or the demolition company on the appropriate means of dust suppression.

    Authorities To Notify For Demolition Works

    • Water Corporation - Phone: 13 13 85
    • Western Power - Phone: 13 10 87
    • Alinta Energy - Phone: 13 13 58
    • WorkSafe - Phone: 1300 307 877
    • Heritage Council of WA (State Heritage Office) - Phone: (08) 6551 8002


    Second generation anticoagulant rodenticides (SGARs) are fast becoming one of the biggest killers of native birds of prey and other predatory wildlife that feed on live or dead poisoned prey. SGARs also have a higher risk of severe poisoning for pets and other non-target wildlife.

    The City strongly encourages the use of first generation anticoagulant rodenticides (FGARs) to reduce secondary poisoning in non-target wildlife. 

    More information

    This information is intended as a guide only. The City disclaims any liability for damages sustained by a person acting on the basis of this information.

    For more information, please contact the City's Building services team on (08) 9273 6000 or via email at

    Was this page helpful?