small business approval advice

Are you a small business owner looking to operate within the City of Vincent?

You may require approval from the City before you can open your doors to trade. Please refer to the questionnaire below to assist you in determining what approval/s you would need to obtain for your business.


The City of Vincent and the State Government have introduced legislative, regulatory and policy reforms to support Western Australia's COVID-19 Recovery. 

A range of planning exemptions have been introduced to make it easier for people to start new businesses and undertake small improvements to their businesses.

The key planning exemptions available for small businesses are outlined on

Please note that while you may not need planning approval, you may still require Building and Health approvals from the City.

If you need additional information, please kindly contact the Planning Services team on (08) 9273 6000 or at



Will there be internal fit-out work done?

If yes, you may require a building permit for the fit-out.

As it is a commercial property, a certified building permit application is required to be submitted. See refer to for more information on certified applications.

For more details on commercial fit-outs, please see

Occupancy permit

Is there a current Occupancy Permit in effect for the building?

If there is no Occupancy Permit for the building, either the property owner or you may be required to apply for an Occupancy Permit from the City. 

Is the proposed use different from the current use of the property? 

If the proposed use is similar to the current use, an Occupancy Permit may not be required

Will the proposed use change the current building classification of the property?

Depending on the proposed use, it could potentially change the building classification under the Building Code of Australia (BCA). If there is a change in the building classification, you would need to apply for an Occupancy Permit. 

You can find more information on Occupancy Permits at

Alternatively, please contact the Building Services team on (08) 9273 6000 or at


If you need more information, please kindly contact the Environmental Health team on (08) 9273 6533 or at


If you have any further questions, please contact the Engineering Asset and Design Services team on (08) 9273 6541 or at