Swimming Pool or Spa

A swimming pool is an excavation or structure containing water to a depth greater than 300mm and used primarily for swimming, wading, paddling or the like, including a wading pool or spa.

What can I build?

The most common type of swimming pool is fiberglass; however pools can be constructed using concrete or a steel frame and liner.

For more information refer to the Rules for Pools & Spas publication on the Building Commission’s website. www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publications/rules-pools- and-spas

The Building Regulations 2012 requires all private swimming pools and spas to have a compliant safety barrier that surrounds the pool or spa in accordance with the Australian Standards AS1926.1-2012. For more information on safety barrier requirements, refer to the Safety Barrier information sheet on the City’s website.

Do I need a building permit?

A Building Permit is required for the construction, erection, assembly or placement of a swimming pool and/or spa that is capable of containing a depth of water of more than 300mm. Inflatable and portable above- ground pools are not exempt and will require a Building Permit.

How long does it take to get a building permit for a swimming pool or spa?

The Building Act 2011 sets time frames in which the City has to assess and determine an application for a Building Permit. The applicable timeframe depends on whether the building application is Uncertified or Certified.

It is important that you are aware of allowed time frames prior to lodging your application and that your application documentation is complete.

Should further information be required by the City in order to assess the building application, the applicant may be given up to 21 calendar days in which to provide the outstanding information. If the information is not received within the 21 days, the application may be refused unless a mutual consent has been granted for a further 21 days.

Uncertified Building Applications (BA2)

An Uncertified Building Application can be submitted for Class 10 structures such as a swimming pool or spa.

The City has up to 25 business days from the date of lodgment to assess the application and issue a Building Permit. The required Certificate of Design Compliance will be issued by the City as part of the application process.

Certified Building Applications (BA1)

A Certified Building Application can be submitted for all class of structures.

Prior to lodging a Certified Building Application to the City, a private building surveying practitioner would need to be engaged to issue a Certificate of Design Compliance.

The City has up to 10 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit.

How long until my permit expires?

A Building Permit is generally valid for two years from the date on which it was granted.

If more time is required to complete the building works, you can apply for an extension of time of up to a further six months by making a formal application and paying the prescribed fee.

What happens when I have completed my building works?

The nominated builder on the Building Permit must submit a Notice of Completion BA7 form to the City within seven days of completing the prescribed building works.


If you would like to submit an application to build a swimming pool or spa, you will need to include the following information in your application:

  • A complete BA1 (certified) or BA2 (uncertified) application form
    • Including all owner's details, construction materials and costings
    • Signed by a builder
    • Including applicant's contact details

BA1 & BA2 application forms are available from the City's website, Building and Energy or from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre

  • A Certificate of Design Compliance.

When submitting a BA1 application, this must be issued by a registered Building Surveying Practitioner and include all documentation as referenced on the Certificate of Design Compliance.

  • Payment of fees

Refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full fee details (here). Fee details are also available from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre.

  • Building Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) levy payment form (for building works greater than $20,000)

Required in full and signed for works over $20,000 - refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full free details (here).

  • Site plan drawn to scale (1:200), showing:
    • Location of the proposed swimming pool and/or spa
    • Location of all existing structures on the property
    • Measurement from the boundaries and existing structures to the proposed swimming pool and/or spa
    • Location of any septic tanks and leach drains (if applicable)
  • Construction details drawn to scale (1:100), showing:
    • Detailed elevations
    • Cross-section details
    • Any existing retaining walls and other structures that may impact the effective height of the swimming pool barrier 
  • Structural Engineer's certification
  • Details of nominated fencing type (new and existing) that will form part of the pool and/or spa enclosure
    • Plus details of any alternations required to make the existing fencing compliant with AS1926.1
  • Details of any remedial works to be undertaken to upgrade window openings in the pool enclosure if the building walls form part of the enclosure

This information is intended as a guide only. The City disclaims any liability for damages sustained by a person acting on the basis of this information.

For more information please contact the City's building services team on 9273 6000 or email mail@vincent.wa.gov.au