A safety barrier is the assembly of components natural or otherwise, which form the intended barrier to a pool, exclusive of gates or door sets.  The safety barrier includes items such as posts and panels, constructed or natural walls, sides of buildings, child-resistant windows, and balustrades on a balcony, where they form part of the intended pool barrier.

What can I build?

The design and construction of new swimming pool safety barriers must comply with requirements of the Australian Standards AS1926.1-2012. Safety barriers can be constructed using any materials providing they are durable and they comply with the standards. The minimum requirements of a safety barrier and gate are:

  • minimum barrier height of 1200mm
  • maximum 100mm gap from ground level
  • maximum vertical gaps of 100mm
  • gate must open outward from pool and/or spa enclosure
  • gate must open outwards from the pool enclosure, be self-closing and latching from any point
  • latch must be at least 1500mm from ground level (or any horizontal surface providing a 10mm or greater foothold)

Do I need a building permit?

Under building legislation in WA, it is compulsory to obtain a Building Permit prior to the installation of any new swimming pool or spa safety barrier.

How long does it take to get a building permit for a swimming pool safety barrier?

The Building Act 2011 sets time frames in which the City has to assess and determine an application for a Building Permit. The applicable timeframe depends on whether the building application is Uncertified or Certified.

It is important that you are aware of allowed time frames prior to lodging your application and that your application documentation is complete.

Should further information be required by the City in order to assess the building application, the applicant may be given up to 21 calendar days in which to provide the outstanding information. If the information is not received within the 21 days, the application may be refused unless a mutual consent has been granted for a further 21 days.

Uncertified Building Applications (BA2)

An Uncertified Building Application can be submitted for Class 10 structures such as a swimming pool or spa safety barrier.

The City has up to 25 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit. The required Certificate of Design Compliance will be issued by the City as part of the application process.

Certified Building Applications (BA1)

A Certified Building Application can be submitted for all Class of structures.

Prior to lodging a Certified Building Application to the City, a private Building Surveying Practitioner would need to be engaged to issue a Certificate of Design Compliance.

The City has up to 10 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit.

How long until my permit expires?

A Building Permit is generally valid for two years from the date on which it was granted.

If more time is required to complete the building works, you can apply for an extension of time of up to a further six months by making a formal application and paying the prescribed fee.

What happens when I have completed my building works?

The nominated builder on the Building Permit must submit a Notice of Completion BA7 form to the City within seven days of completing the prescribed building works.

SUBMITTING A BUILDING APPLICATION FOR A swimming pool safety barrier

If you would like to submit an application to build a swimming pool safety barrier, you will need to include the following information in your application:

  • A complete BA1 (certified) or BA2 (uncertified) application form
    • Including all owner's details, construction materials and costings
    • Signed by a registered builder, including the builder's registration number or owner-builder approval where the value of works is greater than $20,000
    • Including applicant's contact details

BA1 & BA2 application forms are available from the City's website, Building and Energy or from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre

  • A Certificate of Design Compliance (for certified applications only)

This must be issued by a registered Building Surveying Practitioner and include all documentation as referenced on the Certificate of Design Compliance

  • Payment of fees

Refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full fee details (link). Fee details are also available from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre.

  • Building Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) levy payment form (for building works greater than $20,000)

Required in full and signed for works over $20,000 - refer to the City's Fees and Charges for details click (link).

  • Site plan drawn to scale (1:200), showing:
    • Location of the new structure
    • Location of all existing structures on the property
    • Measurement from the boundaries to the proposed structure
    • Location of any septic tanks and leach drains (if applicable)
  • Construction details drawn to scale (1:100), showing:
    • Detailed floor plan and elevations
    • Fencing system cross-section details
    • Fencing system manufacturer specifications or NATA Test Report
    • Fencing system engineering specific to footings
    • Details of existing retaining walls and structures that will impact on the proposed swimming pool barrier

This information is intended as a guide only. The City disclaims any liability for damages sustained by a person acting on the basis of this information.

For more information please contact the City's building services team on 9273 6000 or email mail@vincent.wa.gov.au