New Cat Legislation

In accordance with the State Government’s Cat Act 2011, from 1 November 2013, all domestic cats 6 months and older will be required to:

  • be sterilised
  • be micro-chipped
  • be registered with us here at Vincent (or the cat’s local council)
  • wear a Vincent registration tag

What happens if I don’t follow the law?

Local Governments are responsible for administering and enforcing the Cat Act 2011. Fines and penalties can apply for people who don’t register, micro-chip and sterilise their cats. Cat owners that are not compliant with these requirements, after 1 November 2013 may be liable to fines of up to $5,000. 

Registering cats

As a cat owner, you must register your cat with the City of Vincent. Once your cat is registered, you must make sure that your cat wears a collar and its registration tag at all times whenever in a public place.  To be a cat owner you must be over 18 years of age (to take legal responsibility).

All cats six months of age and over must be registered with Vincent and existing registrations must be renewed by 31 October each year. If being registered for the first time, cats must be microchipped and sterilised prior to registration.

Your cat's Vincent registration tag should be attached to an elasticised collar or safety collar that breaks away if he/she gets caught on something. The collar should be firmly fitted - you should only be able to fit two fingers comfortably between your cat's collar and its neck. It is a good idea to place a bell on the collar to alert any animal that your cat may try to stalk and catch.

How much are the registration fees?

There will be three types of registration available (note that pension card holders will pay 50% of the below):

  • 1 year: $20
  • 3 year: $42.50
  • Lifetime: $100


A micro-chip is tiny like a grain of rice and is very easily inserted beneath the skin. A microchip helps to identify your cat, even if their collar or registrations tag has come off. Cats can be micro-chipped at your local vet.

The benefits are:

  • the insertion of the chip, under the skin is a quick and virtually painless procedure
  • the microchip cannot fall out
  • the microchip will remain “active” for the life of the animal
  • the procedure only takes a few seconds
  • your pet can be identified immediately, if it is found.

What forms do I need and what steps do I take to get it all done?

Firstly you need to sterilise and micro-chip your furry feline

Secondly, after your cat has been sterilised and micro-chipped, you then bring the certificate (obtained from the vet after the procedure) to us here at the City. You’ll need to fill in the Cat Registration Form and pay the fee to register your cat. We'll then give you a small plastic tag with your cat's registration number on it - and this must be affixed to the cat's collar at all times.

To save time, you can download the Cat Registration Form here – or feel free to contact us and we will post a form to you. Email us at: or call us on 9273 6000. 

Registration Renewals

Registration renewals can be paid the following ways;

Relevant documents

Animal registration Form

 Notification of Council transfer for cats form

As Cat registrations are recognised Statewide, when moving between Councils, the requirement is to advise the Council where the cat is currently registered and advise them of the change of address.

The details of your cat can then be added onto our animal transfer register, and when the registration has expired, we can send you out a new registration form to register the cat with the City of Vincent. If the cat has been registered for a period of lifetime, then we won’t need to send you out a new registration form.

 Please see below link to download the transfer form. Once this has been completed and returned to the City, we can then add your cat(s) to our animal transfer register.

Notification of Council transfer form

Nuisance Cats

It is not illegal for cats to stray onto private property under current state legislation and City of Vincent local laws.

If you are experiencing issues with cats coming onto your property, the City recommends that, if you know where the cat is from, you contact the cat's owner and let them know of your concerns.

You can also apply deterrent measures to try to discourage the cat from entering your property. You may need to give the deterrent measures a few weeks to take effect.

Cat Deterrent Measures

Natural deterrent and repellent Plants Alternatives
Citrus fragrance (scatter orange or lemon peels or spray with citrus) Curry plant (Helichrysum angustfolium) Squirting the cat with a hose. Best results are achieved from squirts to the flank, not the face.
Coffee grounds Geranium (Pelargonium) Make a loud noise to startle the cat.
Oil of lavender Lemon thyme (Thymus citriodorus) Commercial cat repellant products.
Garlic Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Cinnamon Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)
Lemongrass Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Citronella Scaredy cat plant (Plectranthus caninus)
Vinegar sprayed on areas where they roam
Pine cones and heavy bark mulch (cats don't like the feeling on their feet)
Dried nut or bean shells, broken egg shells, holly leaves or rock mulch


If after speaking to your neighbour or having tried the above deterrents, the cat is still causing a nuisance, the City may be able to assist through the provision of a cat trap.

For further information regarding nuisance cats or cat traps, please contact Ranger Services via:


Phone: 9273 6000

Disclaimer: Residents must be mindful that any action taken to deliberately injure or harm a cat is not acceptable and is in offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2002.

Other relevant links


RSPCA Western Australia

Cat Haven

9 Lives Cat Rescue

Cats and Wildlife

Frequently Asked Questions

My cat is really old, and I don't want to stress him/her out by having him/her sterilised/micro chipped now.
The City will require documentation from your vet advising that surgery would have an effect on your cat's health. Please note, a statutory declaration is not sufficient. See point 14.2 of the Cat Act which is downloadable at the link further below.

How many cats can I have?
A maximum of 3 cats over the age of 3 months. An owner or occupier of premises may apply in writing to the Council for exemption; for full details and conditions, simply contact Ranger Services (details below).

What if I want to Breed my cats?
You will require a permit from the City of Vincent and be a member of the Cat Owners Association WA, Feline Control Council of WA or Australian National Cats.

The Department of Local Government has added some other Frequently Asked Questions on the cat legislation to their website. For more information please visit this page

For more information

Information on the implementation of Cat Act 2011 can be found at 

The Cat Act 2011 document can be downloaded from this page.

Information on sterilisation of your cat can be found at 

Please also contact us if you need more information:
Ranger & Community Safety Services
9273 6000 or