Demolition work

Demolition work means the demolition, dismantling or removal of a building or an incidental structure and the changing of ground levels to an extent that could adversely affect neighbouring land owners.

Do I need a demolition permit?

A Demolition Permit is required prior to commencing demolition of part or all of a building. However, freestanding Class 10 buildings (sheds, patios) with a floor area of 40m2 or less may be exempt from requiring a Demolition Permit.

A WorkSafe Demolition licence (licenced contractor) is not required for the removal of single storey dwellings.

Dwellings constructed before 1990, or in areas developed before 1990, may contain asbestos. Removal of asbestos must be performed in a safe manner - asbestos fibres pose a serious health hazard.

A WorkSafe Asbestos Removal licence is required when 10m2 or more of asbestos containing material (asbestos cement sheeting) is removed. The City of Vincent’s Landfill and Recycling Facility will accept disposal of asbestos, refer to the Recycling and Waste section of our website below for detailed instructions regarding asbestos removal

Waste & Recycling

All buildings scheduled for demolition are to be baited for rodents, this needs to be completed a minimum of seven days prior to demolition.

Septic tanks or other underground sewage treatment apparatus must be decommissioned and filled with clean sand or removed entirely. The City’s Health Services must be notified of the existence of any sewage treatment apparatus on the demolition site at least seven days prior to the emptying and filling of such tanks.

A separate planning application may be required if the property is within a Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority (MRA) zone or is a heritage listed building. Contact the City’s Planning Services on 9273 6000 for further information.

How long does it take to get a Demolition Permit?

The Building Act 2011 sets time frames in which the City has to assess and determine an application for a Demolition Permit.

It is important that you are aware of allowed time frames prior to lodging your application and that your application documentation is complete.

Should further information be required by the City in order to assess the demolition application, the applicant may be given up to 21 calendar days in which to provide the outstanding information. If the information is not received within the 21 days, the application may be refused unless a mutual consent has been granted for a further 21 days.

The City has up to 10 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Demolition Permit.

How long until my permit expires?

A Demolition Permit is generally valid for two years from the date on which it was granted.

If more time is required to complete the demolition works, you can apply for an extension of time of up to a further six months by making a formal application and paying the prescribed fee.

What happens when I have completed my demolition works?

The nominated demolition contractor on the Demolition Permit must submit a Notice of Completion BA7 form to the City within seven days of completing the prescribed demolition works.


If you would like to submit an application for demolition, you will need to include the following information in your application:

  • A complete BA5 demolition application form
    • Including all owner's details, signatures and full demolition cost
    • Signed by a demolition contractor
    • Include applicant's contact details

BA5 application forms are available from the City's website, Building and Energy or from the front counter of the City's Library. 

  • Payment of fees

Refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full fee details (here). Fee details are also available from the front counter of the City's Library.

  • Building Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) levy payment form (for building works greater than $20,000)

Required in full and signed for demolition works over $20,000 - refer to the City's Fees and Charges for details click (here).

  • Site plan drawn to scale (1:200), showing:
    • Location of structure(s) to be demolished
    • Location of structures to remain on the property (if partial demolition)
    • Location of any septic tanks and leach drains (if applicable)
  • Proof of disconnection of utilities (electricity, gas, water etc.)
    • This needs to be written confirmation from the contractor disconnecting the service (Electrician/Plumber/Service Provider) they should be able to supply the relevant completion certificate.  Your demolition permit may be delayed if these documents are not provided. 
  • Proof of rodent baiting
  • Copy of WorkSafe Asbestos Removal Licence (if applicable)
  • Completed City of Vincent Removal of Asbestos Form
  • Completed Demolition Management Plan (DMP)

This information is intended as a guide only. The City disclaims any liability for damages sustained by a person acting on the basis of this information.

For more information please contact the City's building services team on 9273 6000 or email