What do I do, if my circumstances change?

You must immediately advise both the Water Corporation and your Local Government if your circumstances change at any time. For example, notification is required if:

  • you are issued with a new card or your card is cancelled or expires;
  • your original application details will or have changed;
  • you sell or transfer an interest in all, or part, of your property or move to another address;
  • as a senior (card issued by the Department of Local Government & Communities) you become an eligible pensioner or the holder of a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card; or
  • you or your spouse ceases occupation of the property.