Rates notice of intention to levy

Notice of intention to levy Differential Rates 2020/21

Each year the City advertises its Notice of Intention to Levy Differential Rates in accordance with Section 6.36 of the Local Government Act 1995. The statement outlining the City’s Objects and Reasons for proposing the below differential reason supports this notice.

The City of Vincent hereby propose the differential rates for each rating category in the 2020/21 rating year:


RATE IN Dollar


Residential 0.0790754 $1,211.90
Vacant-Residential 0.0725000 $1,211.90
Other (Commercial/Industrial) 0.06718 $1,197.70
Vacant Commercial 0.12817 $1,516.40

A statement outlining the City's objects and reasons for the differential rates and minimum payments is available by clicking the below link.

Statement of Objects and Reasons for the Proposed Differential Rates & Minimum Payments

Your feedback is welcome

Residents and electors are invited to comment on the proposed differential rates and minimum payments until 5pm Friday 17 July 2020.

Comments must be submitted in writing and addressed to the Chief Executive Officer, City of Vincent, PO Box 82 Leederville WA 6902, or online via our community consultation portal Imagine Vincent.



General Rates Information

What is Gross Rental Valuation (GRV) set by Landgate

The Valuer General Office (VGO) values land in accordance with the provisions of the Valuation of Land Act 1978. The GRV is the yearly income the property would be expected to generate if rented. The rental value for a house is influence by factors like age, construction, size, car shelters and pools. By analysing property rents against these individual attributes and characteristics it is possible to assess a valuation for all properties, whether they are rented or not.

How often are valuations conducted and when was the last valuation done?

The values provided by the Valuer General are reviewed every three years to complete what is known as a General Valuation. Rating valuations are assessed at a ‘snapshot in time’ reflecting the property market for the metropolitan area on precisely the same date known of Date of Valuation, ensuring consistency and fairness in the allocation of rates.

The Date of Valuation for the previous General Valuation was 1 August 2015 effective 01/07/2017.

What is the Date of Valuation for the current General Valuation? The 2020/21 GRV provided by the VGO is based on valuations and sales data that would have been valid as of 1 August 2018.

To help you further understand GRV watch the video below. 

How are rates calculated?

The rates paid on residential property are calculated based on the operating requirements of the Local Government. The rates you pay are a proportionate share of what is needed by the Local Government to provide local services and facilities.

That is, if your home has greater potential rental return than your neighbours, you will pay a higher share of the total rates budgeted by Council.

What is the rates freeze that local Governments are talking about?

The rates freeze adopted by many Councils in response to COVID-19 is about not increasing the total amount of rates received by Local Governments. The intent of the rates freeze was to help provide ratepayers with financial certainty – in effect one less surprise in what is a difficult time for many.

However, the periodic system of revaluations of properties undertaken by the Valuer General will result in some ratepayers paying more and some less than last year – while the revenue to Local Governments remains unchanged.

How are rates applied?

The Local Government applies a rate in the dollar that is multiplied by the valuation to obtain the rate amount for each property. Please note that a Gross Rental Valuation (GRV) is applied generally in town sites and suburbs and an Unimproved Valuation (UV) is applied in rural areas.

What can make my rates go up?

Rates can also increase if your property increases in potential rental value faster than others in your area. For example, if you make improvements to your home that increase its rental value then your share of rates will increase. It can also by simply that the previous valuation was incorrect or out of date and was now corrected. However, changes to property values that affect the whole market – such as times of boom and recession – do not directly affect rates as the comparative value between neighbouring properties remains the same.

Your rates can increase if the Local Government requires more funds to provide local services and facilities. For example, increases to wages and materials costs or if it builds new facilities or adds new services. Local Governments budgets and consequently funds required through rates are also affected by changes to charges by other sectors of Government such as electricity pricing.

Why don't rates go down when there is a drop in the property market?

This is because your rates are not directly linked to movements in the property market – only the value of your property in comparison with your neighbours. If rates were directly linked to the property market, then rates would be far greater than currently. Using each Local Government’s budget as the starting point for setting the amount of rates required, protects ratepayers from increases that are not directly aligned with the provision of services.

How is the rate in the dollar determined?

As part of the yearly budget process, the City determines the Rate in the Dollar by dividing the total amount of money to be raised in general rates by the total value of all rateable properties per category. The resulting figure is the Rate in the Dollar per category. For the 2020/21 financial year the City maintained the rates yield the same as 2019/20 as part of its COVID19 recovery and relief package.

What are minimum rates?

Minimum rates are imposed when the amount calculated by the rates formula is less than the amount any property must pay to contribute to the cost of services provided by the City, regardless of the value (GRV) of their property. 

In 2020/2021 the City of Vincent applies a minimum rate of $1,516.40 to Vacant-Commercial Land, a minimum rate of $1,211.90 to residential and vacant-residential land and a minimum rate of $1,197.70 to Commercial/Industrial Land.

Vacant-Commercial properties with a Gross Rental Valuation of less than or equal to $11,831 will be charged a minimum rate of $1,516.40. Commercial/ Industrial properties with a Gross Rental Valuation of less than or equal to $17,828 will be charged a minimum rate of $1,197.70. Residential properties with a Gross Rental Valuation of less than or equal to $15,326 will be charged a minimum rate of $1,211.90.

Who pays local government rates?

The City of Vincent levies rates each year to fund Council services such as maintenance of parks, library services, roads, health, sanitation, building control and operation of recreational facilities.

Annual Rates Notices are issued by the City of Vincent early in the financial year and are due 35 days from the date of issue.

Anyone owning residential or commercial property in the City of Vincent is a ratepayer of the City and is required to pay rates. Some government bodies, educational and registered charitable organisations are exempt from paying Council rates.

How do City of Vincent rates compare to other metropolitan councils?

The City of Vincent has historically low residential rates when compared to other metropolitan Councils in WA.

Last year, with the waste collection charge factored in, the City of Vincent had the:

  • 5th lowest minimum rate in the metropolitan area; and
  • 4th lowest combined rates/waste charge with a GRV of $22,245.

Comparative View of Residential Rates in Metro LGAs for 2019/2020

Council  Rate in dollar Minimum rates  Waste charge   Security  Total minimum
Residential rates levy based on a GRV of $22,245

Ranking based on minimum rates

Ranking based on $22,245
Perth 5.903930 726.00 318.00 -    1,044.00 1,631.33 1 11
East Fremantle 7.035900 1,112.00 -    -    1,112.00 1,565.14 2 8
Cottesloe 6.398400 1,161.00 -   -    1,161.00 1,423.32 4 1
Belmont 5.334100 840.00 318.81 -    1,158.81 1,505.38 3 7
Vincent 6.650000 1,211.90 -    -    1,211.90 1,479.29 5 4
Mosman Park 6.801100 907.00 322.50 -    1,229.50 1,835.40 6 19
Stirling 5.011700 853.00 350.00 30.00 1,233.00 1,494.85 7 5
Bayswater 6.393000 906.00 358.30 -   1,264.30 1,780.42 10 14
Victoria Park 8.400000 1,233.00 -   -   1,233.00 1,868.58 8 20
Joondalup 5.588600 909.00 346.00 -   1,255.00 1,589.18 9 9
Canning 4.664600 852.00 381.50 56.30 1,289.80 1,475.44 11 3
South Perth 6.727800 994.00 325.00 -   1,319.00 1,821.60 15 18
Swan 7.508800 880.00 418.00 -   1,298.00 2,088.33 12 26
Claremont 6.414400 1,314.00 -   -   1,314.00 1,426.88 14 2
Gosnells 6.512000 980.00 347.00 -   1,327.00 1,795.59 16 16
Fremantle 7.311000 1,340.00 -   -   1,340.00 1,626.33 17 10
Kwinana 8.279000 1,072.00 286.00 -   1,358.00 2,127.66 19 27
Melville 6.507805 1,283.43 -   57.00 1,340.43 1,504.66 18 6
Mundaring 8.401000 864.00 442.00 -   1,306.00 2,310.80 13 29
Wanneroo 6.613200 988.00 410.00 -   1,398.00 1,881.11 20 21
Peppermint Grove 7.846600 1,400.00 -   -   1,400.00 1,745.48 21 12
Cockburn 7.600000 1,353.00 -   72.57 1,425.57 1,763.19 22 13
Kalamunda 6.037400 882.00 550.00 -   1,432.00 1,893.02 23 22
Cambridge 5.841440 953.00 500.00 -   1,453.00 1,799.43 24 17
Bassendean 7.302000 1,106.00 380.00 -   1,486.00 2,004.33 25 25
Armadale 8.617000 1,179.00 377.50 -   1,556.50 2,294.35 26 28
Rockingham 7.262000 1,200.00 375.00 -   1,575.00 1,990.43 27 23
Subiaco 6.702000 1,190.00 505.00 -   1,695.00 1,995.86 28 24
Nedlands 5.733300 1,484.00 298.00 -   1,782.00 1,782.00 29 15

What is the City's Organic Rates Growth?

The City’s rates revenue grows marginally each year due to the development and improvement of properties, and this is called organic rates growth.

Over the past 9 years, the organic rates growth has trended at roughly 1.5% per year (on a 3 point moving average).  However, the organic rates growth last year was much lower, at 0.55%.

 Payment Information

Do I have to pay my rates all at once?

The City understand that sometimes people experience financial hardship which makes it difficult to meet all of their financial commitments when they are due. Please contact a Council Rates Department on (08) 9273 6000 to arrange a suitable payment arrangement to settle the rates debt by the end of the financial year. 

I am under financial hardship is there any assistance the City can provide?

The City will be supportive to ratepayers who are having difficulty paying their rates during COVID-19.

If you have rates outstanding or are experiencing financial hardship please contact the City’s rates team on (08) 9273 6000 or email mail@vincent.wa.gov.au at the earliest opportunity to discuss alternative arrangements.

What payment options does the City provide?

Full Payment

Due Date

Pay in full as per annual notice

18 September 2020

There are NO costs associated with the above payment option. 

Four Instalment Payments

Due Date
1st Instalment as per annual notice 18 September 2020
2nd Instalment as per annual notice 13 November 2020
3rd Instalment as per annual notice 8 January 2021
4th Instalment as per annual notice 12 March 2021

If you’re unable to pay your rates in full, you may choose to pay in four instalments. However, certain conditions apply to qualify for the instalment option:

  • Ratepayers must pay any arrears and the full amount of the first instalment (exact amount) by the due date for instalment number 1 in one transaction.
  • The payment must be received by the City by close of business on that date. No responsibility can be taken for any delays encountered in the delivery of the mail.

Rate Smoothing  Due Date
Weekly, fortnightly or monthly direct debit payments Between 18 September 2020 and 12 March 2021 

If you’re unable to pay your rates in full, or in four instalments you may choose to pay by Rates Smoothing.  Rates Smoothing is an alternative payment frequency by spreading your rates payments more equally across the financial year with smaller, more manageable instalment amounts.

How do I sign up?

To apply, complete online Direct Debit Request and Service Agreement (DDRSA) form or download the pdf ensuring all fields are completed and signed.

When are Rates Smoothing forms required to be completed by?

Return the form by 26/08/2020 in time for payments to begin on 18/09/2020. Please carefully read the Terms and Conditions before signing the Agreement.

Can I make Rates Smoothing payments in person, by cheque or BPAY?

No, Rates Smoothing is only paid by direct debit, from a cheque or savings on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis ensuring the total is paid before the end of the financial year. Refer to payment debit dates table below.

What cost is associated with the Rates Smoothing paying option?

Interest of 5.5% is calculated within the cost of the option. Refer to your annual notice for the cost of this option.

How do I change my bank details?

Complete, sign and return as soon as possible the Direct Debit Amendment Request form to rates@vincent.wa.gov.au.

Do I need to reapply for Rates Smoothing payment each year when I receive my rate notice?

No, you don’t need to do a thing. The Rates Smoothing payment arrangement will continue each year or until you contact us in writing should you wish to cancel. Weekly and fortnightly payments will be drawn on Fridays. The Rates Smoothing details will appear each year on the rates notice and the rates department will vary your amount from time to time, to ensure your repayments cover the balance.

What if I can’t make payments?

Rates that are not paid by due date will incur a late payment penalty interest of 8% per annum calculated daily. Accounts in arrears or dishonoured payments may receive a final notice at the end of the rates smoothing period. Please contact the rates department on (08) 9273 6000 if you experience difficulty in paying your rates to discuss an alternative payment option.

What are the direct debit dates for Rates Smoothing?

Rates Smoothing payments will be drawn on Fridays, in weekly fortnightly or monthly payments between 18 September 2020 and 12 March 2021.

18/09/2020 26 18/09/2020 13
25/09/2020 25 25/09/2020 6
02/10/2020 24 02/10/2020 12
09/10/2020 23
16/10/2020 22 16/10/2020 11
23/10/2020 21
30/10/2020 20 30/10/2020 10 30/10/2020 5
06/11/2020 19
13/11/2020 18 13/11/2020 9
20/11/2020 17
27/11/2020 16 27/11/2020 8 27/11/2020 4
04/12/2020 15
11/12/2020 14 11/12/2020 7
18/12/2020 13
25/12/2020 12 25/12/2020 6 25/12/2020 3
01/01/2021 11
08/01/2021 10 08/01/2021 5
15/01/2021 9
22/01/2021 8 22/01/2021 4
29/02/2021 7 29/01/2021 2
05/02/2021 6 05/02/2021 3
12/02/2021 5
19/02/2021 4 19/02/2021 2
26/02/2021 3 26/02/2021 1
05/03/2021 2 05/03/2021 1
12/03/2021 1

Special Payment Arrangement

If you’re unable to pay your rates in full, in four instalments or by Rates Smoothing and you like to discuss the option of arranging an individualised payment plan, please contact the City’s Rates department on (08) 9273 6000.

Can I apply for a rates exemption? 

As per section 6.26 of the Local Government Act 1995, eligible organisations can apply for a rates exemption on their Council rates.

The Rates Exemption Form should be completed by organisations that are seeking for a rates exemption. For a quick turnaround of your application we urge that the form be completed correctly, and you provide all the required supporting documentation.

Email to:  mail@vincent.wa.gov.au or;

Post to: City of Vincent PO Box 82 LEEDERVILLE WA 6902

For more information please contact the Rates team on 08 9273 6000.

Rates Exemption Form 

Statutory Declaration Form

Rates Exemption Appendix A

Electronic Delivery Notice

How do I sign up to go green - go paperless?

Go green, go paperless and register for BPAY View or e-Rates.

By choosing to go paperless you will receive rates, final and installment reminder notices electronically. You will be assisting the environment by reducing the impact on trees, plastic, water, greenhouse gas emissions and landfill waste which is all part of paper, envelope, printer cartridge and stamp production. All other correspondence will continue to be posted to the postal address we have on file for your property.

The City offers two electronic mailing options, BPAY View and e-Rates:


Through BPay View, you can nominate to have your notices sent via your online bank account.

To register, log-on to your online bank account and select BPay View in your settings.

Register using the Bpay customer reference number and assessment number as shown on your last or current notice.

For more information click here.

Description of image


Register for e-Rates by clicking on the below link if you would you like to receive your rates notice via email.

You will need your rates assessment number which can be found on the top right of your rates notice.


Change My Details

How can I change my mailing address?

It is essential that the City has the correct mailing address recorded to ensure rate notices are forwarded to the correct address which will avoid incurring any unwanted penalties on overdue rates.

We require all change of address requests to be completed in writing to protect you against unauthorised changes to your details in City's records. You can submit the electronic change of address form below or you can email the City of Vincent at mail@vincent.wa.gov.au or you can submit your change of address details in writing to the City of Vincent, PO Box 82, Leederville WA 6902.

Change of address form