Bee Keeping

Bee activity noticeably increases during spring time. This is due to bees searching for acceptable places to make a hives. They can often be seen settled in a ball formation or congregated around eaves, letterboxes, bins, trees or a water source. Although they can move on in a short period time, if they are creating a nuisance or potential hazard the following steps should be taken.

Guidelines for Keeping Bees

An owner or occupier of a premises shall not keep or permit the keeping of bees in a hive after 30 November 2004 without the written consent of the Council`s Manager Health Services. A person shall not keep bees on a lot unless, at all times:

  • A permanent supply of water is provided
  • The hive is kept at least 10 metres from any building
  • The hive is kept at least 10 metres from any footpath, private street/laneway, or public place
  • The hive is kept at least 5 metres from any boundary of the lot
  • The hive is enclosed on all sides by a fence, wall or other enclosure. A person shall not keep, or permit bees which cause a nuisance

The Town’s Environmental Health Officer(s) may direct any person to remove any bees or beehives that are proven to cause a nuisance to the neighbourhood (some people are allergic to bee stings).

Bee Problems

Bees on Private Property: Private property is the area behind your letterbox and verge line. Bees on private property should be dealt with by the owner/occupier of the property by:

  • Calling a qualified Pest Controller
  • Calling an Apiarist/Bee Handler (yellow pages under Bee Keepers)

On Council property: Council property Includes:

  • Verges
  • Parks
  • Footpaths (*Except Main Roads road reserves)

If the bees are causing a nuisance the Town will arrange for the removal of the bees – please contact the Town’s Parks Technical Officer on 9273 6000.

If you require further information or assistance, you can contact the Town’s Health Services by telephone on 9273 6000 or facsimile on 9273 6099 or e-mail