Homeless Western Australians are some of the most vulnerable in our community and require support from a range of services to end their homelessness journey.

The City of Vincent is committed to supporting people at risk of, or experiencing homelessness and as a participant of the City Homeless Framework Committee, we recognise that a collaborative and coordinated approach between service providers is required to end, rather than just manage homelessness.

Many people experiencing homelessness have diverse or complex needs relating to culture, mental health, trauma, domestic violence, cognitive impairment or drugs and alcohol. The City of Perth have published a comprehensive directory of Homeless Services in the Inner City to assist the community in navigating what support services may be appropriate in different situations.

Homelessness is not a crime.

People experiencing homelessness have the same entitlement as any other member of the community to use public spaces and facilities, participate in public events, activities and services.

When is a response or intervention appropriate?

  • If the person requests assistance, or is distressed or in need of assistance;
  • If the person's behaviour is threatening their own safety, or the safety of those around them;
  • If the person's behaviour has resulted in damage to property or the environment, such as an accumulation of litter or waste;
  • If the person is sheltering in a place that puts their own safety and health at risk, or that of others (for example, squatting in derelict buildings or high risk areas without the consent of the owner);
  • If the person is an unaccompanied child or young person who may be at risk of significant harm.

Incidents of anti-social, intimidating or threatening behaviour, alcohol and drugs, public disturbances, assaults, public urination or trespassing should always be reported as and when they occur to the WA Police Force on 131 444, or 000 in an emergency or life-threatening situation.

Concerns relating to litter, cleanliness and damage of public spaces and facilities, needle disposal, obstructions in walkways and thoroughfares, dog control, parking and management of vacant properties can be reported to the City of Vincent on 9273 6000. 

The City also works closely with a number of organisations who provide outreach and support services in the area, including:

Manna Inc
Nyoongar Outreach Services
Uniting Care West

Local drop-in centres

Ruah Community Services and Uniting Care West work together to support those experiencing homelessness in Perth. From 6 January 2020, the following services and opening hours will apply:

Ruah Centre
33 Shenton Street, Northbridge

A drop-in and appointment-based centre for those experiencing homelessness who need support to make a change in their circumstances. Clients can access co-located services such as counselling, Centrelink, Mental Health Law Centre, NDIS, alcohol and other drug (AOD) support  and mental health case management 

8:30am - 3:30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding Public Holidays)

*You can get there on the free Blue CAT bus

Tranby Centre
6/5 Aberdeen Street, East Perth

Crisis services including food, showers and internet access, capacity building activities, mentoring and opportunities for social interaction.

7:00am - 7:00pm
Monday to Sunday (including Public Holidays)

Other emergency accommodation and relief contacts

Entrypoint Perth
A free assessment and referral service assisting people
who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in WA to
access accommodation and support options.

Monday - Friday 9:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 5:00pm

1800 124 684

Crisis Care Helpline
A telephone information and counselling service for people
in crisis needing urgent help.

After hours, seven days a week

9223 1111
13 14 50
(through the translating and interpreting service)

An online directory of emergency relief service providers managed by the DropIN team at the Western Australian Council of Social Service, containing food relief, financial counsellors, emergency accommodation and other services.

Ask Izzy
A mobile website connecting people in crisis with the services they need right now, and nearby.

WA Housing Hub
A comprehensive online directory of crisis accommodation, tenancy support,
home ownership options and other support services available across WA.

How else can I help?

Many people in our community want to help those doing it tough, but may not know the best way to do this.

Groups and individuals wanting to assist people experiencing homelessness are encouraged to explore suitable pathways through Volunteering WA. This allows goodwill to be harnessed in the most effective way by reducing duplication of services, aligning your support with the needs of the sector and providing opportunities to work with, and support established and reputable service providers.

For more information

Contact the Safer Vincent Advisor on 9273 6014 or email safer.vincent@vincent.wa.gov.au .