A shed is an enclosed non-habitable structure that is detached from any dwelling. 

What can I build?

Sheds are not permitted to be located within the front setback area (front yard) of the property.

If the property is located in areas other than residential zones or if there is a development envelope on the property, you will need to consult with the City’s planning services on 9273 6000.

Generally in a residential zone, a shed:

  • less than 9m in length are permitted to have a 1m setback from a side and rear boundary
  • over 9m in length are permitted to have a 1.5m setback from a side or rear boundary
  • on a secondary street boundary require a 1.5m setback regardless of the length of the structure

Do I need a building permit?

The Building Regulations 2012 states that construction, erection, assembly or placement of a freestanding outbuilding with a floor area of 10m2 or less and an overall height of no more than 2.4m does not require a Building Permit. You will require a Building Permit for all other outbuildings.

How long does it take to get a building permit for a shed?

The Building Act 2011 sets time frames in which the City has to assess and determine an application for a Building Permit. The applicable timeframe depends on whether the building application is Uncertified or Certified.

It is important that you are aware of allowed time frames prior to lodging your application and that your application documentation is complete.

Should further information be required by the City in order to assess the building application, the applicant may be given up to 21 calendar days in which to provide the outstanding information. If the information is not received within the 21 days, the application may be refused unless mutual consent has been granted for a further 21 days.

Uncertified Building Applications (BA2)

An Uncertified Building Application can be submitted for Class 10 structures such as a shed or garage.

The City has up to 25 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit. The required Certificate of Design Compliance will be issued by the City as part of the application process.

Certified Building Applications (BA1)

A Certified Building Application can be submitted for all Class of structures.

Prior to lodging a Certified Building Application to the City, a private Building Surveying Practitioner would need to be engaged to issue a Certificate of Design Compliance.

The City has up to 10 business days from the date of lodgement to assess the application and issue a Building Permit.

How long until my permit expires?

A Building Permit is valid for two years from the date on which it was granted.

If more time is required to complete the building works, you can apply for an extension of time of up

to a further six months by making a formal application and paying the prescribed fee.

What happens when I have completed my building works?

The nominated builder on the Building Permit must submit a Notice of Completion BA7 form to the

City within seven days of completing the prescribed building works.


If you would like to submit an application to build a carport, you will need to include the following information in your application:

  • A complete BA1 (certified) or BA2 (uncertified) application form
    • Including all owner's details, construction materials and costings
    • Signed by a registered builder, including the builder's registration number or owner-builder approval where the value of works is greater than $20,000
    • Including applicant's contact details

BA1 & BA2 application forms are available from the City's website, Building and Energy or from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre

  • A Certificate of Design Compliance (for certified applications only)

This must be issued by a registered Building Surveying Practitioner and include all documentation as referenced on the Certificate of Design Compliance

  • Payment of fees

Refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full fee details (here). Fee details are also available from the front counter of the City's Administration Centre.

  • Building Construction Industry Training Fund (BCITF) levy payment form (for building works greater than $20,000)

Required in full and signed for works over $20,000 - refer to the City's Fees and Charges for full free details (link).

  • Site plan drawn to scale (1:200), showing:
    • Location and dimensions of the proposed shed or garage
    • Location of all existing structures on the property
    • Measurement from the boundaries to the proposed structure
    • Location of any septic tanks and leach drains (if applicable)
  • Construction details drawn to scale (1:100), showing:
    • Detailed floor plan and elevations
    • Cross-section details
  • Structural Engineer's certification
  • Bushfire Attack Level Assessment (if applicable)

More information

This information is intended as a guide only. The City disclaims any liability for damages sustained by a person acting on the basis of this information.

For more information please contact the City's building services team on 9273 6000 or email

Was this page helpful?