Funding opportunity for young people via the Australian Sports Commission.
Young people find it difficult to meet the ongoing and significant costs associated with participation at sporting competitions, particularly those from regional areas.
The Local Sporting Champions program is an Australian Government initiative designed to provide financial assistance for young people aged 12-18 towards the cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment when competing, coaching or officiating at an official national sporting organisation (NSO) endorsed state, national or international sporting championships or a School Sport Australia state or national championships.
Who is eligible?
The Local Sporting Champions program is designed to support young people participating in state, national and international level sporting championships as either an athlete, coach or official.
In order to be eligible to apply for a Local Sporting Champions grant, young people must meet the following criteria:
- Be turning 12 to 18 years of age in the same calendar year as the nominated sporting championship.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent resident status, residing in Australia.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, umpire or referee in:
- an official state championships endorsed by the relevant Australian Sports Commission (ASC) recognised national sporting organisation (NSO), or
- an official state school sport championship endorsed by a School Sport Australia member body, or
- an official national championships endorsed by the relevant ASC recognised NSO, or
- a national school sport championships endorsed by School Sport Australia
- an international competition as a member of an official Australian team, endorsed by an ASC recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- Be living more than 125km from the championship venue, and travelling greater than 250km return to participate in the nominated championship.
- Must complete and submit application to the ASC prior to the nominated championship commencing.
- Must not have received a Local Sporting Champions grant for an application submitted in the same allocation year (1 March - 29 February).
- Must not have received $500 or more in federal government funding for the nominated championship.
- Must not be participating in a professional competition that involves prize money greater than $500.
- Saved applications must be completed and submitted prior to the championship.
If you require any further information please contact the Australian Sports Commission or visit their website www.ausport.gov.au/participating/local_sporting_champions