Where: 38 Kalgoorlie Street, Mount Hawthorn, WA,
ANZAC Cottage was built in one day on February 12, 1916 by the community of Mount Hawthorn as a home for a returned wounded soldier and his family and as a memorial for those who lost their lives in the tragic Gallipoli landing.
The ambitious project was initiated by the Mount Hawthorn Progress Association and supported eagerly and enthusiastically by the community with donations and contributions made to ensure that the cottage that was to be built would be a suitable memorial for the Gallipoli veterans.
Ninety–seven years later, the cottage still stands and commands respect from all who visit it. During its lifetime, the building has weathered dramas of ownership, of neglect and of triumph. It has seen ownership change and perspectives of its use modified, but the fabric and intent of that decision long ago by the Mount Hawthorn Progress Association still remains.
ANZAC Cottage is open to the public on the first Sunday of each month from 1pm to 4pm and has special commemorations on 12 February (the anniversary of the cottage’s construction), 25 April (ANZAC Day), 19 August (Vietnam Veterans Day) and 11 November (Remembrance Day) each year. Arrangements can be made for groups to visit throughout the year.
For more information please contact Anne Chapple on 0411 44 55 82 or email email@example.com
Great radio story to listen to
To listen to a radio episode of 720 ABC radio Perth's 'What’s all that about?’, then click here. Reporter Kimberly Howie and heritage expert Richard Offen look at the history of Anzac Cottage in Mount Hawthorn.
Anzac Cottage – Educational Resources
If you’re visiting the Cottage with students or simply want to learn more, then the documents below can be downloaded to assist you. They provide suggestions for visits to Anzac Cottage by groups of school children, and aim to engage children in their understanding and appreciation of the story of Anzac Cottage.
The Anzac Cottage Story
Anzac Cottage, at No.38 Kalgoorlie Street in Mount Hawthorn, has a unique history, constructed as a practical monument to commemorate the Anzac's participation in the First World War. It was the first memorial to the Great War to be built in Australia.
With the help of the Ladies Patriotic Guild (who provided afternoon tea), the site was cleared in one day and on 5th February 1916, 70 drays, laden with building material, formed a procession in James Street prior to making their way to the site which was to be called "Anzac Cottage".
Many local businesses donated materials, furnishings or money. Construction began at 3:30am on 12 February 1916, and by 5pm the flag was raised with the letters A.N.Z.A.C embroidered on it. By the end of the day, the lawn has been laid and the fence erected and the project declared a success. The house was officially opened on the 15th April 1916 and the honour of living in Anzac Cottage was given to Private Cuthburt John Porter, a returned wounded Anzac soildier.
In size and lay-out, Anzac Cottage is similar to typical "workers" cottages of the period, but the Cottage was designed by architect Mr Alfred Levido and has been described as an "upgraded" worker's cottage, with 'Federation Queen Anne' details, including a variety of pressed metal ceilings.
Private Porter and his family lived in the Cottage until his death in 1964. At present, the Cottage is owned by the City of Vincent and is leased on a peppercorn rental arrangement by the Vietnam Veterans Association of Western Australian. A sub-committee entitled “Friends of Anzac Cottage” has been set up to retain the connection of the cottage to the Mount Hawthorn and broader community.
An Interpretation Plan is now being prepared by the City of Vincent and the Friends of Anzac Cottage for the centenary celebrations of the cottage on 12 February 2016.